Thursday, October 11, 2012

Spacing Out...On Purpose


It is absolutely imperative that you have at least 30 minutes each day to just “let go”.  If you have to schedule it in, do so.  You will lose your freakin’ mind if every minute of every day is dedicated to focusing, structure, chores and “doing unto others”.  You NEED a little time each day to “waste”, and you need to stop feeling guilty about it.  

I know that if I don’t have a little time each day to just “space out”, my mood goes south.  Of course, I’m in charge of that, but it’s much easier to manage my mood if I can have a little “me” time.  I had to learn to stack the deck in my favor.  We all need to recharge.  It’s almost as if we reach a stimulation limit for the day, and need to back off and let things settle down in our brains.  Imagine a sponge mopping up liquid.  The sponge keeps collecting liquid until it reaches its saturation point, and then it starts to leak all over the counter.  Your brain is like that sponge.  You’ve eventually got to stop wiping up the liquid and wring it out.  That’s your “space out” time.

For instance, I have trouble dealing with groups of people for any length of time.  There are eight other people in my office, and the constant talking, knocking on the door, the ringing phones…it’s enough to drive me bonkers.  At some point during the day, I just need to sit quietly by myself (or by myself with my wife) with minimum outside stimulation.  I watch something silly on TV (I’m a Real Housewives junkie), read, or play dominoes on my phone.  In extreme cases, I’ll take a nap.  This might be difficult if you have a houseful of people, but you need to try (be creative!).  Also, you need to stand up for yourself.  If you need to say “I’m feeling very stressed out and I need 15 minutes ALONE”, then do it.  Much better than blowing your top and saying something really awful to someone you love because you’re too stressed.

If you have a family, you’ll have to communicate this particular need (and stress that it’s a NEED), or schedule it around your family obligations.  If you have kids, your “space out” time might be the 30 minutes after they go to bed.  Go take a hot bath and give yourself a pedicure.  Go sit on the front porch with a beer.  If you’re married/partnered without kids, your spouse may not understand why you sit and play solitaire for a half hour every night.  S/he may think you’re wasting time or being lazy…well, you are, but you need to explain WHY, and that it’s actually a GOOD thing for you to do!  Your partner may not understand, but s/he will appreciate you making an effort to explain.

Kids with ADHD DEFINITELY need this.  Don’t let it go overboard, obviously (4 straight hours of playing Madden 2012 is probably not a good plan), but don’t give them a guilt trip if they need to stare at the ceiling with their iPod for 30 minutes.  This is how we cope with everyday life.  It’s OK if you don’t understand…you were wired with different coping mechanisms that simply don’t work for us.  Talk to your child.  Make sure this “space out” time is really that and isn’t an attempt at procrastination or avoidance.  Make sure the outlets your child uses are healthy and calming (violent video games should be reserved for “blow-out” time, which we’ll discuss later).  And make sure your child knows that you’re supporting him/her.  We’re often made to feel guilty for our coping mechanisms…let them know it’s OK.

No comments:

Post a Comment