Friday, October 5, 2012

Checklists


I like using standardized checklists to keep me on point (you can take the girl out of the military…).  I’m not all that great at sticking to traditional schedules, day planners, calendars, etc.  I ignore reminders I set up on my email for recurring events, I lose my day planner, I forget to write things down. 
At one point in time, I was a competitive bodybuilder.  In order to reach the appropriate size and quality to compete at my chosen level, I made use of several checklists and a daily training log.  My checklists were fairly simple.  I had a list of the supplements I took on a daily basis taped to the medicine cabinet.  I had a checklist of my daily training and nutritional needs on the fridge. 
Now, this is a rather specific example designed to meet a very specific goal, and it seems pretty straightforward.  What about daily life?  What about the stuff most people take for granted or do without thinking?  Well, that’s going to be different for everyone.  And I managed to be organized in my bodybuilding pursuit while the rest of my daily life was a shambles.  What works for me may not work for you, and there is no “catch-all” solution. 
I employ a combination of tools.  I have checklists for my daily tasks, and I use email/smartphone reminders for non-recurring engagements.  I use an iPhone app called Paperless.  It’s a checklist-style tool that allows you to assign icons to your lists (visual associations are very handy for me).   It organizes my lists in a very straightforward manner, doesn’t force me to assign due dates or tie it to a calendar, and allows me to edit with a swipe of the finger. 
I made a checklist for everything from my weekday morning ritual to doing the laundry.  It may seem a little silly or embarrassing to keep a list on how to wash your own clothes, but it’s time to get over it.  You’re reading this blog because you or someone you love has difficulty with everyday tasks.  Own it.  Sit down and make a list of all your commitments and obligations, bills, chores, daily tasks, etc (I’ll go into time management and division of labor in more detail in another post). 
Spread your chores and unpleasant tasks out over the week and assign them time slots in your checklist.  I make a checklist for every day of the week (including weekends).  Use a tool that allows you to make notes for specific tasks and make changes easily.  Break down those tasks into separate checklists for reference.  Put away your pride and do it.  Here’s a typical Monday for me:
o   Morning routine (separate checklist)
o   Wake up (0530)
o   Gym or run (I still use a daily checklist)
o   Meditate
o   Go over day’s obligations
o   Shower & dress
o   Pack breakfast & lunch
o   Grab ID, wallet, badge
o   Put meals and gym bag in car
o   Work
o   Clean bathroom (separate checklist)
o   Take trash downstairs & shake out rugs
o   Grab mop from kitchen
o   Wipe down sink & counter
o   Wipe down mirror & fixtures
o   Clean toilet seat & bowl
o   Clean tub
o   Change towels
o   Replace can liner
o   Sweep floor
o   Mop floor
o   Replace rugs
o   Return mop to kitchen
o   Make dinner (this is one thing I do on the fly)
o   Wash dishes
o   Clean up dinner mess & pack leftovers
o   Evening routine (separate checklist)
o   Set out work clothes for next day
o   Set out morning workout clothes
o   Pack gym bag
o   Do yoga
o   Wash up
o   Relax (this is open to interpretation)
o   Meditate
o   Set alarm
Seem complicated?  On the surface, it probably seems a little overwhelming.  But think about it:  you really only have to do the tough work once.  If you make your lists and break everything down, all you’ll have to do later is a little editing if things change.  You may not need to reference your “Clean Bathroom” checklist more than once, but it’s there so you can check your work.  Plus, the mere act of creating the checklist helps make your tasks stick in your mind.  If you have ADHD, you know “winging it” is probably not an option.  You NEED some structure…or else you’ll keep procrastinating until your spouse throws the laundry basket at your head, your credit card gets cancelled for non-payment, or your HOA fines you for not mowing the lawn.
This way, you have no excuses…your tasks are laid out for you in detail!
At the end of the day, make it a habit to look over your lists.  What did you forget?  What did you purposely put off?  What was easy for you?  What was difficult?  Now, make sure you actually DO those tasks the next time, find an easier way to do them, or take another look at how your chores are divided in your house.
And what about things that just come up?  What about a task that you were assigned in a staff meeting?  How about a one-time deadline?  This is where I create a reminder.  I set up a reminder on my phone and forward it to my email at work or vice versa.  Since the rest of my day is organized and taken off my mind as a stressor, I’m able to remember the things that aren’t recurring items.  If it’s something that requires preparation, then I can use my checklist tool to help me organize the task (use the same format:  look at the big picture, break it down into smaller parts, and assign it time slots).
Give it a shot.  And don’t just do it for a day or two and let your easily-distracted mind lure you away because it requires focus.  Give it two weeks.  Stick to your tasks.  Go over your lists at the end of the day to check your progress.  Get feedback from your family.  If nothing else, you just laid out every major task you have to do on a recurring basis (things don’t look so scary when you break them into smaller parts).
In any case, the days of “I’ll just wing it” are over.  Yes, it takes focus to change your habits and your attitude, but in the end, the decreased stress of having a little bit of structure makes it totally worth the effort!
Stay strong!

1 comment: